Skip to main content

The Pakistani Bride - Book Review.




    I had been on quite a long reading hiatus, which, fortunately, ended last week. I bought not one, but three books of varied genres to begin afresh. I wrote about Love stories, an anthology edited by Ruskin Bond, and,  I let you go', by Clare Mackintosh. In today's post, I review the third book, 'The Pakistani Bride', by the internationally acclaimed  author, Bapsi Sidhwa.

   Her books have been translated and published in several languages and she has received many an honour for her literary works. As humbled as I feel reviewing her book, I hope I am able to do justice to her work. So, help me God.


  The Pakistani Bride  is the story of Zaitoon, a little girl orphaned during the exodus that was the Partition of India and Pakistan. The bloodbath that led to a complete annihilation of the fabric of our country left countless families shattered and destructed.

 The following two lines  paint an accurate picture of  the aftermath of the Partition, of people's struggle to leave all their belongings behind to cross over to the other side - the side that now belonged to them:

   The train glides through the moon-hazed night, with a solid mass of humanity clinging to it like flies to dung.  From time to time a figure loses its hold, or is forced off and drifts like discarded rubbish.  A cry, then silence.  


  So, it was during their flight from this side of the border that five year old Zaitoon loses her parents at the hands of the butchers that men had turned into. She is adopted by Qasim, a tribal belonging to the hills of Kohistan, who is also fleeing to the other side of the border.  Qasim  finds his way to Lahore where he, with the assistance of his new-found friend, pehelwaan Nikka, sets up a house for himself and his 'daughter'.

 The story traverses through the formative years of Zaitoon, who is looked after like a daughter by Nikka's childless wife, Miriam.  It also follows Nikka's escapades with the law, and his and Qasim's rise from their humble beginnings.

 The story takes a break when Zaitoon reaches the "marriageable age" of sixteen; when Qasim, whose heart still beats for his Kohistan, for the hills that were his home, decides to give his daughter's hand in marriage to a tribesman. A decision that inspires in him the hope of seeing his adopted daughter become a part of his history, his land. A decision that finds disapproval from his friend Nikka and his wife, Miriam.

  Here, the author introduces new characters in the form of the suave Pakistani army man, Farukh, his American wife, Carol and Major Mushtaq. I did get puzzled as to how these characters would contribute to the story of Zaitoon, but the author has introduced every character with such care; etched every character in such a way, each one plays an important part in the main story.

  Zaitoon, with dreams galore about the hills and her impending marriage, travels with her father all the way to his land. Brought up in a society that secludes the women, Zaitoon finds the prospect of marriage, and living with a man stirring feelings within her. Feelings she had only  fantasised about in the privacy of her mind, her heart.

 Alas, little does she or Qasim foresee their dreams coming crashing  down with the beginning of Zaitoon's  new  life with Sakhi, her tribal husband.  The story takes you through the nightmare that becomes Zaitoon's life; a nightmare you wish reached an end soon.

 The story is riveting  till the very end. It stays with you long after you have turned over the last page of the book. In that, it leaves one perturbed at the position women have been allocated in our society.  I finished reading it in two days; the suspense left me disconcerted. What lay in store for Zaitoon? was the question that gnawed at me each time I put the book away.

 The life of women in certain countries is pathetic, is what we like to believe.  But, the bitter fact is that, the life of women in every country is really the same. Be it India, Pakistan, the Middle East, The US of A, or the European nations. Crimes against women occur because "we ask for it", is the popular belief worldwide.  The exploitation, the  enslavement, the harassment, the injustice, is all because it's a man's world. However much the feminists might scream for justice and equality from the roof tops, life for women will be the same as it has been for a countless years now - abject and pitiable.

 The book, 'I let you go', had its female protagonist - an American woman and an artist - suffering at the hands of her abusive and jealous husband, the kind of man who is found in Bapsi Sidhwa's story, too. Zaitoon's husband, a man of the hills, rather, a savage, makes life hell for his young bride. What follows is...what you ought to read. No spoilers in my reviews!

 Bapsi Sidhwa is an outstanding writer, who has brought alive every character in her story. Her characters have layers to their personalities; layers that get peeled off one by one during the course of the story. The incidents during the Partition, the turmoil and the ensuing tragedy that befell the citizens of both the countries has been depicted so beautifully, you feel like you belong to that era, that you are witnessing every incident as it takes place! The pain of the women, be it Zaitoon, Miriam, Carol or the countless women suffering the atrocities at the hands of their men is palpable and your heart goes out to them, making you wish you could change their destinies.


  I would urge you all to read this book. Read it so you feel the plight of women across continents; women, who fall prey to the tyranny of their men, regardless of the society/community they belong to.  Men are the same all over the world! This statement may reek of misandry, but, isn't it a fact?  Barring a few, the majority are aware of, and wield, the power they have over their women. This book is bound to leave a lasting impression on your mind, and an ache in your heart that refuses to subside with time.



Have you read a book detailing the lives of oppressed women like Zaitoon? Do you think we women have better destinies in store for us; do you think the situation will ever change? Do share with me.


Love,

SHILPA...




  

Comments

  1. That's a lovely review and the kind of book I love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes you think, doesn't it? I love reading books on women and about women. There is on set in Kabul which is on my reading list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love reading such books, Nabanita, and I grab them when I see them in my bookshop! Do read this one, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds very interesting! Cant wait to get our hands on this book! Thank you Shilpa for your review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! :)
      Thank you for the visit!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Such a beautiful review. sounds like good book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very good book, Nikita!
      Thank you for visiting! :)

      Delete
  5. This was the book you had mentioned on my blog, isn't it? Nice of you to write a review. It sure sounds like an interesting read. I shall add it to my TRB list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Maliny, this is the one. Do read it and let me know your feelings! :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful review Shilpa! I have time and again told many of my so called feminist friends that what we are fighting against is nothing compared to what women in some parts of the world are actually going through! And here I can exactly see the situation. I would want to read this book for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Menaka! We have no idea what scores of women out there go through all their lives. It's when they get liberation that the world will have really changed!

      Delete
  7. I like books where characters are well developed. Though the story seems too bleak and dismal for my taste. I'll probably sink into a depression on reading this book. I tend to get personally involved with the characters.
    You have reviewed it very well, Shilpa. Wish you a Happy New Year! See you around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicky, I too get personally involved with the characters I read about, so I can understand when you say you might get depressed, but it's a story that could be the story of a countless women; one which we ought to read and consider ourselves luckier.

      Delete
  8. That was such a heartfelt review - just what a good book deserves. I read it some time ago and loved it. Khaled Hosseini's Thousand Splendid Suns has a similar theme. Despite these stories I am hopeful that women will improve their lot because they have started shaping their own destines even though it is in small measure. It may take a long long time but we'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from a book reviewer of your stature, I am honoured to hear that I reviewed the book well, Tulika! Thank you so much!
      Yes, I too believe that the scene will improve, but as you said, it's going to take a long time for that to happen.

      Delete
  9. Lovely review, Shilpa. Your prose is so good that it's good enough to become a book in itself.

    It must have been crushing beyond words for people during the partition. You've brought out their pain superbly. Will recommend it to women as a TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Vishal, I just cannot imagine the kind of turmoil people experienced during the Partition days. We ought to count our blessings for being born in a free and much more peaceful era.
      Thank you so much for your lovely words, Vishal! I am just trying to better myself! :)

      Delete
  10. It's been a while since I read a book with women being oppressed. Shall try this Shilpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try it, Ramya, and let me know how you felt. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh Shilpa, a really heartfelt and moving review. And I think for sure a book I would really need to read. could relate to some, and a theme I think is very important. lots of love my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Eli! You always have the sweetest words for my posts! Makes me feel wonderful! <3
      Do read this book, if you can find it. I know you will be able to relate to it.

      Delete
  12. Lovely review, Shilpa. I have read many books like these. Some of them make me very sad as I wonder when normal, common things will become accessible to women like simple decisions about their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Rachna. We are indeed lucky to have been born in a family that allows us the freedom some can only dream of!
      Thank you so much, sweetie! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

A pleasant surprise.

Life does that. Springs surprises when you are least expecting any. And  you are left baffled, overwhelmed, ecstatic, and, surprised, too! You find it unbelievable that such a thing could happen with you. And, it takes a lot of probing and analysing to finally accept that something this unimaginable could happen to you, too!

              The above emotions are  what I went through when I received a message from the Manager of Baggout that my blog had been selected as one of the 15 best love and relationships blogs in India. I must have read the message 5 times and still found it unbelievable. In fact, I thought someone was playing a prank. I made enquiries, tried finding out all about Baggout and went back to where I was - in a state of utter disbelief! Call it low self esteem if you wish, but I wondered how  anyone could find my one and a half year old blog worthy of any such mention.

        The feeling was  good, nay, great. But, unless I saw it all in black and w…