Skip to main content

Love.

         LOVE.

         A word that evokes myriads of feelings in our heart; an emotion that "makes the world go round", and a formula that gives us the courage to circumnavigate the widest of oceans for the object of our affection! 

      Ah, how much more filmy can one get? 
     
       But, isn't it amazing what this four-letter word is capable of? It  has the power to bring men down to their knees; it can turn brawn to mush with just a fluttering of eyelids, and prudence to recklessness by a mere few honey-dipped words of endearment!  Love - it can spin you like a ball on its little finger and turn you into a complete moron. I mean, it's only later that you realise what a moron you have been! 

     No, I am not against love. But, it's just a thought that does the rounds in my head every once in a while. The thought that, if the love stories that ended in tragedy had ended happily, would the hero and heroine have stayed in love as much as they were when it all began? Would love still exist between the lovesome twosome after, say, 10 or 20 years of togetherness, because, hello, haven't you heard about familiarity breeding contempt?

     So, yesterday, when I was at a bookshop and chanced upon Love Stories, an anthology edited by the sweet and chubby  Mr. Ruskin Bond,  I felt as if someone out there was reading my mind! For, when I picked up the book and read the introduction by Mr. Bond, I was rooted to the spot! 



  In the introduction, Mr. Bond wonders why many a great love stories end in tragedy. Laila-Majnu, Romeo-Juliet and all the other famous couples were doomed to die in each other's arms. Happy endings are hard to come by. And, would they have been happy if all had gone well? Romeo and Juliet might well have become bored with each other after a couple of years of marriage, and  Laila might have been disenchanted with Majnu! The authors were perhaps wise to end the stories on a tragic note. 
  He quoted Oscar Wilde thus:   "Marriage is a romance in which the hero dies in the first chapter."
                                                             
  Aren't we all so aware of this bitter fact about love and its trappings? And, yet, we all fall in love - totally, madly, deeply - with The One, and let ourselves get swept away by its strong currents into a whirlpool from which there's no way out. Erm..just so you know, these here are my thoughts. I speak from my own experience; been there, done that, fallen in love and made a complete fool of myself! 😉

  Having said that, love is an elixir of life; the one thing that can help you move mountains, turn cartwheels,  and smile in spite of the sorrow that life gifts us from time to time. So, do fall in love. It's the stupidest..er..best mistake you will ever make!

  Ending my post with this poem penned by Mr. Ruskin Bond...


 We must love someone

We must love someone
If we are to justify 
Our presence on this earth.
We must keep loving all our days,
Someone, anyone, anywhere
Outside our selves;
For even the sarus crane
Will grieve over its lost companion,
And the seal its mate.
Somewhere in life
There must be someone
To take your hand
And share the torrid day
Without the touch of love
There is no life and we must fade away.

  
So, have you fallen in love...truly, madly, deeply? Do share with me your love story. I love love stories! 


Love

SHILPA...

Comments

  1. Such a lovely poem. I haven't read much of Ruskin Bond. I feel stupid that ways. And your lines, "love is an elixir of life; the one thing that can help you move mountains, turn cartwheels, and smile in spite of the sorrow that life gifts us from time to time.". I want to write about love too.. but feel inhibited. Kya karu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead and write, Lata..Pour your heart out and see the magic....rather, feel the magic! And, do read Mr.Bond. He is amazing!

      Delete
  2. I love this poem! And I'm a true blue romantic! I've known my husband for about 17 years now & we've been married 14 years, but it still seems like yesterday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....that sounds like such a sweet love story, MG! May the love stay alive for years to come!

      Delete
  3. I am a huge fan of Ruskin Bond and I nnever knew about thsi anthology! Thank you for bringing this to my notice. I shall try and fetch a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do read it, Maliny. I loved it!
      Thank you for visiting! :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely book, Shilpa. (You're stuck on the word chubby today! :P) Love is the answer, always, no matter what the question is! My Mom used to recite that poem <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :P Vidya! Everywhere I went, I only saw chubby people that day! And, they are too cute! <3
      And, yes, love is always the answer...

      Delete
  5. the poem is lovely.... and Ruskin Bond's stories are so simple yet moving.... tragedy is indeed the last thing he would like to incorporate in his stories.. it's always so good, light humor...
    His choices here must be as good... want to read the book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's so right, Pratikshya! Mr. Bond does have some lovely, gentle words in his repertoire, which never fail to move us, strike a chord! Do read the book..it's lovely!

      Delete
  6. A quote by Paulo Coelho says Its better to have loved and lost than not having loved at all. Be the fool is what I believed in and just like you I often wonder what if all those stories which ended on a parting note, what if they never ended like that, what if the 2 people ended together - would the love and feeling of finding the soul mate,would it all have remained the same or the marriages would have ended like it did for our parents and the generation before them where there is just cribbing, irritation, upmanship etc? I liked the fact that you chose to review this book which you bought on your own and it was not a part of the book review bunches. I don't read love stories any longer, middle age to be blamed I guess or being married for too long hehehe. And did you ask for your reader's love stories? I would like to meet you someday to know yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read love stories, either, Anamkia! It's age that has taught me all that I need to know about love! :P
      And, my story turned 20 recently! :)

      Delete
  7. Ah love! What an amazing feeling it is. And so many shades of it as well. Romantic love, the love you feel for your kids, parents, your pet. So many shades. I loved the poem you shared as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rachna....love in its varied avatars....What would we do without this one emotion?

      Delete
  8. Love.. that one emotion that can make us feel all other emotions... even sometimes it intensifies them. But no matter what... we need it... always. It's the broken stories that we remember... happiness is strong but sadness moves the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you put it.."It's the broken stories that we remember...happiness is strong but sadness moves the heart."
      Here's to LOVE!

      Delete
  9. I do see his point - Romeo Juliet were barely in their teens and we'll never get to know if it was a mere infatuation, ditto for for the others. Imagine them bickering over whether what they'd have for dinner or who should change the diaper! I think love begins after the truly, madly, deeply ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Tulika, you put it so well! I could prostrate myself at your feet! True..love happens only after truly, madly, deeply!
      And, I don't even want to imagine Romeo and Juliet bickering over trivial issues of everyday life! ;P

      Delete
  10. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. I'm a life coach blogger. Reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging endeavors. Please keep in touch with me in Google+, +sridharchandrasekaran Twitter @lifecoachbloger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sridhar, for the visit! :)

      Delete
  11. It's a lovey book Shilpa... I have read it and it sure does make u feel loved and a heart full of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love is always the answer, I reckon.
    As for my love story - you already know it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess! And, it is a sweet one, Sid - your love story! Stay loved! <3

      Delete
  13. I love the concept of love all that it brings. I have been in love for 10 years and counting and if not love, what it is? I mean it's love that makes people stay together, do things extraordinary and still smile and let them go. Haven't we heard of those tales. I think it's the complexity of human nature that love brings out. Both on the positive and the negative spectrum of the scale.
    Love that Oscar Wilde quote and will surely pick that book up by Bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You put it so well, Parul!
      May your love grow stronger with each passing day, my dear! :) <3

      Delete
  14. Simply love the post and the poem, Shilpa. It's a breeze but also reflective read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love is such a natural feeling which when rightly shown would attract the right people towards us. Beautiful post Shilpa! loved the poem
    Menaka Bharathi has recently published http://simpleindianmom.in/online-laundry/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it is the winter! Blame it for the lovey dovey atmosphere all around!! :) suddenly everyone I know has written about love this weekend!!!


    Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, Shubhangi...it sure is the winter that awakens all these feelings and turns the heart into mush! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…