Skip to main content

The Calling - Unleash your true self. Book Review.



            The Calling - Unleash your true self, is an inspirational book written by Priya Kumar. An award winning and a bestselling author of books like 'I am another you', and 'License to live', Priya Kumar brings for us a book about a journey within. A journey we all need to make in order to  discover our true selves, and the reason behind our presence on this planet.

           Books that belong to this genre attract me, in that they motivate me and help me realign my perspectives and gain some clarity and peace of mind.  And, this book does just that. In a language that is lucid and a style that instantly makes you feel at ease, the author narrates the story of Arjun  and his journey that changes his life forever.   I found it somewhat similar to The Alchemist in nature, which also happens to be a tale about a man who embarks upon a journey learning about life and about following one's dreams.

       The story is peppered with maxims all along; maxims that leave us stunned with their candour and awaken us to certain realities about life and ourselves. Here are a few that made me  pause and reflect upon and helped me find answers to questions that have gnawed at the back of my mind for quite some time.

*     If you don't like the rain, rise above the clouds. Cursing the rain won't make it go away, but it will surely make you wet!

*    Death is not a solution because life has never been a problem. How do you propose to solve a problem that did not exist?

*     LIfe does not test you at your level, it tests you at a  level higher than yourself. You don't choose the test.  The test is always a step ahead so that in reaching beyond it, you grow beyond yourself.

*  Sometimes we are so annoyed with people that we don't heed them at the times they are correct. We continually hold their idiosyncrasies against them and deprive ourselves of the value that they could add to our lives.

*   You are the creator of your own world. What others do in your world is on your wish, your intention and your calling. 

* Don't be a slave to money. Be the master of your destiny. Stop running. Start living your life.

      Life,  if we observe closely,  always offers us a second chance. A chance to redeem ourselves, better our performances and learn the true purpose behind our arrival into this world. Seldom do we recognise these second chances, for we are too busy stressing over our humdrum existence.  But, the lucky few who do grab the second chance vouch for the fact that it changed them, changed their perspectives and brought about a sea change in the lives they had been living.

      The first chapter  in the book reminded me of the movie, Bruce Almighty, where the character of Jim Carrey is guided by God Himself for bringing him on the path of righteousness. In The Calling, Arjun is assisted by his young guide, Chandu, and a Sadhu he meets on his trip to Hemkund Sahib, to discover himself and  his real purpose in life.  I found the story intriguing, but also a tad tedious in places. However, it picked up pace in the latter half and reached a perfect denouement.

    If you are a fan of The Alchemist, which I am sure you are, then you might find this book equally interesting, as well as helpful. It might even bring about an awakening and help you reach the place you ought to be. A line in the book perfectly helps unravel the mystery behind the matters that often leave us baffled:

       The destination does not hold our redemption, but the journey towards it does.

   That might help you come to conclusions about the whys and the wherefores of the quirky journey called life!




 
     

        

Comments

  1. Shilpa , am yet to read the book though it has been with me for a week now. From your review, the boom does sound good. I have read and loved the alchemist. Shall read this too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will like this book, too, Ramya!
      Happy reading! :)

      Delete
  2. I think I'll add this in my TBR..I'm reading books of this genre lately and liking them too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books do awaken us from our deep slumber, Nabanita! That's how I feel each time I finish one of these books! :)

      Delete
  3. Shilpa,Congrats for trying a different genre and doing a book review.The Maxim's u have quoted from the book surely want me to go through the pleasure of reading it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Medha!
      Yes, do pick up this book. It felt good reading those maxims! :)

      Delete
  4. OH.. I have not read Alchemist. The subject sounds interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting, Ls! :) And, I think, you will love The Alchemist.

      Delete
  5. Aha! If you hadn't mentioned, I would never have known you were new to book-reviews! You've done it like a pro! Definitely sounds like a book to pick up, when you are floundering in life! Wonderful review my girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear! I am glad I got it right! :)

      Delete
  6. Yes. I have to say this sounds like a good book. And the quotes you mentioned do seem to show a sharp mind at work. Thanks. Will check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the book with me since a week. I guess I should read asap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Alchemist, but I don't think I'd be reading this book as non-fiction doesn't interest me much, although the review does sound good.

    Expressing Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked those quotes- they made me want more!!! Great dear Shilpa- thanks for the tip, would like to read this one:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eli! Yes, do read it, if you can. :)

      Delete
  10. I just don't like Paulo Cohelo and I really couldn't finish the Alchemist.... So I wonder if I should read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, bellybytes, to each his own! :)
      Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  11. Seems like an interesting book, Shilpa. A review nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachna! Yes, it was a good read! :)

      Delete
  12. Your review sure sounds promising Shilpa. One motivation to write the review. i haven't even started with the book!

    Cheers
    Geets

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved The Alchemist to death. From time to time, I enjoy reading such books that contributes to our journey in life, which is often unexplored. A great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vishal!
      Yes, these books are a necessity, for they help us when we so need a guiding light at times in our lives.

      Delete
  14. First things first - I am sorry to reach here this late - my brain was fried due to all the packing, unpacking, moving that I was going through. My life is still in boxes, but I am back. This post I had bookmarked. :D

    As far as the book review goes - this was fabulous (especially considering this was your first, but trust me - no one would ever be able to tell). You reviewed this like a pro - and no, I don't say this lightly. The praise is heartfelt.

    I loved the way you gave examples, and compared it to Alchemist and Bruce Almighty - you did what even seasoned book reviewers fail to do - associate the new variable (the book) with something the readers are familiar with, and give them a frame of reference.

    I knew you would be awesome at this. Wishing you lots of happy reading (and reviewing) times. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shantala!
      Your words really mean a lot. You know how nervous I was since this was my first book reviewing, I hope I am able to keep it up in the future, as well! :) <3

      Delete
  15. Shantala has already said what's on my mind. You've done an incredible job with the review. Well done! I love the Alchemist and always love non fiction so this may be worth picking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shailaja! :) It's the kind of book that never fails to cheer me up and fills me with positive thoughts.

      Delete
  16. Very nicely done. True it does not read like a first review.
    I don't read self help books but alchemist and one odd more I have so I find this very fresh.
    Keep reading, keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Although I do not like reading this genre, I might give this a try.

    Very well written review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Soumya! You should give it a try. It's definitely worth it. :)

      Delete
  18. Seems like a great book even though I'm not too keen on non-fiction. But I do see why/how it could appeal to people. Wonderfully reviewed Shilpa.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a great review, Shilpa. I am going to put this book on my TBR list. Like Shantala said, you reviewed it very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Parul! It's just the beginning! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

A pleasant surprise.

Life does that. Springs surprises when you are least expecting any. And  you are left baffled, overwhelmed, ecstatic, and, surprised, too! You find it unbelievable that such a thing could happen with you. And, it takes a lot of probing and analysing to finally accept that something this unimaginable could happen to you, too!

              The above emotions are  what I went through when I received a message from the Manager of Baggout that my blog had been selected as one of the 15 best love and relationships blogs in India. I must have read the message 5 times and still found it unbelievable. In fact, I thought someone was playing a prank. I made enquiries, tried finding out all about Baggout and went back to where I was - in a state of utter disbelief! Call it low self esteem if you wish, but I wondered how  anyone could find my one and a half year old blog worthy of any such mention.

        The feeling was  good, nay, great. But, unless I saw it all in black and w…