Skip to main content

Paranormal activity.

                "What is that noise?" The blond stiffened as she heard the sound. Her sister turned around  and looked towards the kitchen.  Clink clink. They heard it again and  looked at each other, terror-stricken. At that instant, a  pan came hurtling towards them. 

               I grabbed the remote and switched off the TV.  Why did I  have to watch that damn movie? I chided myself as I shivered with  fear. Horror movies always gave me the shivers, and yet here I was,  watching all that nonsense all by myself! I vowed never to do it, ever again!
         Glancing at the clock, I realised it was late - almost 1 am - way past my bed-time.  I yawned and looked at Chikoo, grateful for his company. Hubby would be returning home late, so there was no point staying awake. Desperate for a glass of water, I got up and walked towards  the kitchen, albeit with some trepidation. What if??  I shook my head and pushed that  horrid thought out of my mind. My mind was now playing tricks on me, and I would not  let it win. It was just a stupid movie! And,  with Chikoo by my side, nothing would harm me!
      Flicking on the kitchen light, I picked up a glass, filled it with water and turned to move out, when something on the kitchen platform caught my eye. The cabinet in which I stocked a variety of  snacks was wide open. An air-tight container which was filled with an assortment of cookies was on the platform, its lid open. And, there, next to it was a plate with a half-eaten cookie in it!
        I froze. I stood there like a statue, staring at the plate.  It was not my habit to eat cookies after dinner. It was not even my favourite cookie. And,  I was alone in the house since evening. Then how? what? when? who? A hundred questions swarmed my mind. My blood pressure went for a dip.  I called out to Chikoo in a feeble voice. He awoke and barked in reply. My  legs had turned to jelly, but I had to get out of here! I hurried towards my bedroom, banged the door shut and nearly dropped the glass of water on the night stand. Calling out to Chikoo in a quivering voice, I literally jumped into bed and grabbed him in my arms, as tight as I could.
        My heart thumped wildly. A thousand  thoughts crowded  my mind. Closing my eyes tight shut, I prayed to every god I could think of. On seeing me nervous,  Chikoo began licking my face, trying his best to calm me down. After a long while, my palpitating heart calmed down. Coming to my senses, I began pouring over every detail of the scene I had just witnessed.  And, gradually  it dawned on me  that the rattling sound I had been hearing for some days now, the one that came from the kitchen at night, the one that woke Chikoo, WAS THE CONTAINER BEING OPENED! But, who would do that? Not hubby, for sure.  And, in an instant, realisation struck me like lightning.
     Those cookies were my mom-in-law's favourite cookies! She loved  munching one before going to bed. So, SHE HAD BEEN DOING IT ALL THESE DAYS?! OMG! My heart was in my mouth now. I dialled my husband's number with trembling fingers, but his phone was out of coverage. Damn! I gathered Chikoo in my arms and began praying loudly, all over again.

       You may wonder what's so scary about it all.
       This incident took place a year and a half ago. You see, my mom-in-law had passed away 10 days ago, and these 'happenings' had been happening ever since then.
       THAT was what was so scary, so terrifying!
      The tales about spirits returning to finish their unfinished business were actually true! It did scare the living daylights out of me. It doesn't happen only in the movies, it happens in real life, too! It's a  fact way stranger than fiction!

       What? You think it's a joke?
       Believe you me!
 
   * The above post is part fact, part fiction. So, please, do not panic. Spirits really don't return. Believe you me! ;)


  *I am participating in the Bar-a-thon at Blog-a-rhythm, for an exciting 7 days of blogging and blog-hopping. Do join in with your posts and have a thrilling week! 
 * Today's prompt: Phrase prompt: Stranger than fiction.

*Member of Team Orange Tango.




Comments

  1. You had me there for a minute!! Excellent at keeping my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Carol! I was just trying to up my 'braveness' quotient! :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, even I was certain you were going to tell me this really happened. And honestly, I don't know where I stand. I am open to believing in ghosts or atleast some supernatural things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, doc. I don't think we need to believe in it at all. It's just a figment of our overactive imagination, plus the movies! ;)

      Delete
  3. You got me there! And then came your disclaimer!
    Enjoyed reading this!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed reading it, and didn't get scared.

      Delete
  4. :) First Carol, now you, Shilpa! But you know what? With people gone, sometimes our minds imagine things that seem real... Scary. But there is good scary too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Vidya. Our minds work overtime when people leave us and go away.

      Delete
  5. Have heard of spirits trying to communicate with family and others. Often we may hear something, feel something or see something out of the corner of our eye only to turn around and find nothing there. But what you have shared is soooo scary. I had goosebumps, as I read your story, Shilpa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa, I believe it's all in our head. The more we imagine, the more fear we will experience. I may sound all brave and gutsy here, but back then, when I experienced some 'things', I was in a bad state. :)

      Delete
  6. Something in me kept repeating- it's fiction. I would like to believe if spirits do exist, mothers will always be mothers. That too a cute cookie eating mother.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes, Arpita, mothers will always be mothers, and always be around us, looking after us, now and later, as well!

      Delete
  7. It actually made me smile thinking that the ghost'unfinished business was to eat cookies... but I have to say you got me there for a second. Enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Raj, I, too, was relieved that it was only cookies she was interested in! :)

      Delete
  8. You mad woman! :) I was feeling so scared for you till I reached that last line. I have had some weird experiences after the passing of some relatives. There sure is a spooky factor there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! The prompt was such, Rachna, it demanded such a story!
      <3

      Delete
  9. Lol!! Woman, you scared me! And tell what part of the above was fiction?
    On the contrary, you weaved a wonderful story!

    Cheers
    Geets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geetika, for some nights after my MIL passed away, I did actually hear a sound from the kitchen. It resembled that of an air-tight container being opened. And, every time I heard that sound, Chikoo would turn around and stare in that direction. And, I trust Chikoo's intuition, totally! You know how dogs are!

      Delete
  10. Hahaha...you had me there Shilpa! I was really so worried about you! Great take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh God I was really terrified and was visualising a kitchen from the house I previously lived in UK. I still get this inkling that house was haunted with 2 spirits. I should have written about it for today's prompt then thought of not going that way. Someday may be I will blog about it or may be not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please blog about it, Anamika. Would love to hear all about it. But, I will make sure I read it during day time. :D

      Delete
  12. I got so scared. Gosh! 😃 Great take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You cannot do this Shilpa. Totally freaked me out. Will be sleeping in the kids' room tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I am so sorry, Tulika! I hope my post didn't leave you sleepless!

      Delete
  14. You sure had us all going there for a minute until the end. Creepy and suspenseful! I don't like watching horror movies as they make my imagination work overtime. They spook me right out. I remember watching a show on ghosts once and being totally creeped out and unable to sleep after that. I must admit I do wonder about spirits contacting us and roaming about, especially since my mother's death. I haven't personally seen any spirits from the other world but it's not to say I totally disbelieve it either. Too many strange things happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cat, too many things happen, which play on our over-imaginative minds. But, I would say, if your mom comes visiting, you don't need to fear. You know how moms are! <3

      Delete
  15. A ghost story! Why did I choose to read the post at night *hides face*
    You totally gave my goosebumps till I read the last line :D

    Loved the cookie and Chikoo :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It's just a piece of fiction, Mithila. Part fiction, though. You don't want to know the 'fact' part.

      Delete
  16. Freaky! Super freaky rather. And I am reading this at 11. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hope you slept well, Parul!

      Delete
  17. Hahaha.....mom-in-law sure loved those cookies.....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Sunaina, she loved those cookies. She loved food! :) And, she was a terrific cook, too!

      Delete
  18. I have heard that spirits come back to finish their unfinished business, but eating cookies - that is an unusual, yet interesting reason to return.Though I say, cookies are worth coming back for. Don't you think so? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Shantala, cookies are better, any day! :) I have heard they return for many other unfinished businesses! hehe.just kidding, dear!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…