Skip to main content

A li'l post on my li'l ol' boy.

             Times change. And, how!
             Until a few years ago, my little boy, Chikoo, would wake me up each morning like an alarm clock-  6 o'clock, on the dot! It is a mystery to me, how they read the time! He would bark bark bark, and wake me up with,
 
     "Mommy, mommy, wake up! It's morning! We need to go pee, on those lovely trees! I mean, I will pee, and you can see me pee, and leave my signature all over for the girls to follow! Wow! Isn't that so exciting! Mommy, mommy, come onnnnnnn!" 

     I would wake up grumbling, and coaxing Chikoo back in bed, for a few more minutes.
    
      Now, the situation has reversed. I have to wake him up, with a
"Wake up, sleepy head. It's time to go, pee! Wake up, darling!"

And, he yawns, and yawns, and stretches lazily, and grumbles some gibberish in his doggy-language and  goes back to sleep! The old man now prefers to laze around, sleep the entire day, and just take things easy!

  However, with time, his intelligence, understanding and patience have increased tremendously.  He follows every word I say. Like, if I urge him to go sleep on the bed in our bedroom, and not on the couch in the living room, he doesn't even pause by the couch and heads straight to the bedroom. He then waits by the bed for me to give him a slight push up the bed, where he then  gets all cozy and goes zzzzz. Ah! Gone are the days, when he would jump on the bed, and off it, like a cheetah, leaving the bed sheet and all in a royal mess! Back then, I would rush to re-arrange the bed and put it in order. Today, I pine for that messy bed and the pillows in a disarray, and wish this old guy could go back to being that hyper-active fella!

        Today, he is also a lot more patient when kids cuddle him.  He simply stands still and lets them have their way. People, who were once wary of this big creature, look amusingly today, when their little ones run their hands all over him, and he moves not a muscle! It's a proud moment for me, to see that he has been finally accepted! Wonder when people will accept the fact that dogs have hearts larger than their fangs! Large enough to fit  the entire world they live in!

       Times change. Time flies. And, I know my old man will become slower by the day. He will stop in his tracks a hundred times; his walks will be shorter and laboured. His zest for life  will go for a dip as each day passes by. But, his heart will only grow larger, with each passing moment, enveloping every life that touches him, every hand that caresses him.

      Ah! But, that's life, isn't it?

     


Comments

  1. My labrador used to wake me up similarly, wining near my head, pulling of the blanket.
    He is beautiful ... I hope age is kind on him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, so cute! :) Yes, Rajlakshmi, I, too, hope age is kind to our babies!

      Delete
  2. Its their own life experience just as we get used to things around us. With them, they get so used to our routines and behavior that they understand our every move and know what to do.
    Snoopy turns three soon and its amazing to see the changes in him - he is more docile and affectionate and knows everyone's routine by heart and adjusts to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Roshan, so true. Chikoo knows now when his dad will be going to work, and when to hang out with his buddies. He can differentiate between his dad's trousers and jeans, too! He, in fact, knows everything about everybody so well, we can't imagine him to be the animal that he is! :) Our babies are so smart, no? :))

      Delete
  3. Aww, what a touching post about Chikoo, the passage of time and meaning of life all rolled into one. Hard to see them aging and know their days are numbered but then ours are, too. We must be like Chikoo and enjoy each day with a heart full of love like he would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Cat! We can learn so much from our babies; learn to live and love life, love the people in our life. And, always remember, that we aren't going to be here forever! :)

      Delete
  4. I loved this and you may know that I rescue dogs. We lost 5 dogs in the last year and two were especially close to me -- my heart breaks every time and yet we continue to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do know that you rescue dogs, Carol. :) You have a heart of gold, sweetie! I can only imagine how you manage yourself when you lose your babies to time! <3

      Delete
  5. Oh what a heart warming post sweet friend. Nothing like the love to and from a dog is there? Love to read that portrait of your Chikoo. Sending hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) True, ELi! Wonder what we would do without these darling creatures!

      Delete
  6. Aww, so sweet! Chikoo is so adorable! Nothing to beat his love, I am sure! Stay blessed both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you for visiting, Kala!

      Delete
    2. :) Thank you for visiting, Kala!

      Delete
  7. A touching tale. The way you gave the message is strong, with love woven into it.

    Brilliant job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…