Skip to main content

The lessons I learnt.

                       The year-end sees many of us turning into  philosophers, reflecting on the days gone by and realising that the stumbling blocks that paved our way were the lessons that life was trying to teach us! As the curtain goes down on the receding year, we look back at the highs and lows we experienced.  Saner and a lot more cautious, we decide to welcome the new year with a wiser brain sitting firmly on our stronger shoulders.
            I, too, played the philosopher, and, much to my astonishment, realised that the  mistakes I made greatly outnumbered those that I considered my successes. Mistakes that have taught me some very important lessons. So, here I am.  “I’m sharing my #TalesOf2015 with BlogAdda.
           
          We humans place  great importance on material wealth. Agreed, that money is necessary for our livelihood. However, it is the heart beats in our lives that sound lovelier and a lot more soothing than the jingle of the coins in our pockets. 'Heart beats' being the number of hearts that beat for us; the people in our life who truly care, and for whom we truly matter. Although, most often, we realise this fact   only when faced with a rough tide. Until then, it is always us entrenched in our greed to accumulate more.
           Now, as time passes by, I feel the need of being surrounded by my  people: my friends and my family. For, what would I do without these gems that I have been  blessed with? Aren't our people our treasure in the truest sense? With whom would we share those rare silent moments, when words seem redundant; those mesmerising sunsets, when all you need is someone to stare at the sky along with; those carefree giggles and those free-flowing tears?  Isn't it time we learnt their importance and gathered our people closer  for a rejuvenating huddle?
          I have also learnt the importance of safeguarding my heart from wear and tear. Really! We have this habit of giving away our heart to all and sundry without a moment's thought about how it will be treated. Seldom do we think about how it can get trampled on by those we give it to. This blood pumping machine is a precious and fragile organ and it comes with a label,"Handle with care', stamped across it in bold letters. But, we fail to read it and in the process end up being damaged goods! So, I have decided on brushing up my reading skills so that I  not only read such important labels, but also  the intentions of people I trust my life with.
         Learning  to let go of grudges, is another lesson I learnt. No, I haven't held grudges, but I have witnessed how a single grudge can ruin the peace of an entire family. We all know how we have little control over what people say and do, but we do have a control over how we react to it. Moreover, don't we ourselves say  hurtful things to our people? And, don't we get forgiven by them? Then, what right do we have to hold bitterness and resentment in our hearts and draw cracks in our relationships?
        It's high time we learnt to let go and move on, forgive and forget and accept our people along with their flaws and strengths. They are our people, after all! Would there be any meaning to our lives without them?  Ridding ourselves of rancour that threatens to rip apart the entire fabric that we have so lovingly sewn together is one resolution that needs to be made and stuck to.
       Also, learning to let go of insecurities and embracing ourselves  along with our blemishes  has been another lesson learnt. We are how we were created by our Creator. We are unique. In this entire world, there is just one of us. Isn't that reason enough to celebrate our selves? Our nature, our personalities, our bodies are all ours to be proud of! Why compare ourselves to others who are not better than us, but merely different from us?  Let's be amazed by ourselves, our achievements, our successes and then see how life smiles with us!
       Sharing love and spreading goodness and warmth around us is what life should be all about. That is what the world will remember us by. Cliched as it may sound, but life is short and uncertain. We may never know, but this may be the last year for some of us! So, why not spend it doing our best for ourselves and for others?
          A quote I like to repeat to myself these days goes like this:
     
         "Life is not about the number of years you have lived, but the number of lives you have touched with your love and goodness."
     Well, that's the kind of life I would like to live.

       Welcome, 2016. I look forward to learning some more from you, too!

       
        

Comments

  1. Lovely lessons and ones we can all learn from. I'm pleased you're letting go of a lot from this year. Reduce stress. That helps a lot. Happy new year, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree to the lessons learned, Shilpa. Every day is a new lesson and learning from the past mistakes. I will also learn from it and approach things in a different manner. Happy New Year:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…