Skip to main content

Angel.

                  Do you believe in angels? No, not the winged ones wearing robes, but the real ones, whom God sends in our lives, just to take care of us? I am sure you all do. We all have been blessed with many of these: our parents, siblings, best friends, soul mates.  But, for some, like myself, an angel could be someone other than a human; someone with fur as soft as satin, and eyes that convey a thousand emotions. My angel is my 11 year old, Chikoo. I have written so much about him, yet I find something new everyday!
             I always wondered about the relationship between a mother with her offspring. Every time I saw a mother with her baby in tow, holding on to her finger, tugging at her saree pallu demanding attention, or hugging her, my heart would skip a beat too many.  If one of my own wasn't in my destiny, then on whom would I shower my love? Whom would I hold close in moments of loneliness? Who would wipe away my tears? And, like a  bolt of lightning striking the earth, Chikoo bounded into our world, with his soft furry  paws and twinkling brown eyes.
          All those years ago, I had not an inkling that this little bundle of fur would become the centre of our universe, whose well being would be  paramount  to us.   He may not know this, but my world revolves around him. From the moment I wake up, till the time I shut my eyes at night, I have him at the centre of everything I do.
       People wonder what, about a dog, could keep me so occupied, considering he doesn't need to be sent to school, or helped with his studies. All he needs is a walk  and  food, twice a day. Yes, these are his only needs. However, he is really not here for himself. He was placed into my world  for me!  To keep me company, to look after my emotional needs and to fill up that vacuum that destiny wouldn't.  Well, destiny did fill up that vacuum, but not in the 'conventional' way! But, I am really not complaining! On the contrary, I count myself lucky to have been blessed with an angel who looks after me more than I do myself.
      Since the last few years or so, Chikoo has become my  shadow. And, since there is just me and him at home most of the time, he can be found by my side, wherever I may be, whatever I may be doing. In the kitchen, at the dining table, while writing/sketching, while sleeping, dreaming, thinking...he is there, looking up at me before he drifts  off into his dreamland.
    Today, I had my first Yoga session at home. The moment my teacher began instructing me to do one exercise after the other, Chikoo began to whine! Not used to seeing me in all those positions, he was worried about what was going on. She asked me if he was very sensitive, and I said, yes, he was! Every time I sneeze, or cough, or even moan in pain, he looks at me with concern writ large in those  eyes. "Are you okay? " he asks.
    He is a keen observer. He knows the cadence in my voice when I am happy or sad, or even raving mad! Yes, we all have those moments, don't we? And, the moment he notices a slight change in my pitch, he walks up to me, puts his paw on my lap and yelps, all in the hope of calming me down. His anxiety at seeing me in such a state mellows me instantly. I would feel guilty if my temper made him nervous and restless. Although, there are times, when I can't help myself and  burst out. At such times, too, my angel runs over, tail wagging wildly, to lick away those tears and bring me back from the brink of helplessness.
    At times, when he catches me lost in my thoughts, he senses where I have wandered off and looks at me with that knowing look,  saying, "Come back out of those deep, dark woods, girl! I am here for you." His eyes say it all!
    My friend, D - another dog-mommy- worries about me, and warns me often to not get so involved and emotionally attached to Chikoo. He is but a dog, and his Maker did not do a very splendid job as far as his life span is concerned. But, I ignore her warnings and tell myself that my baby is going to be with me, always. I  understand  her concern, but, I have faith in this angel of mine. In the duration of a day, there is not one minute that he leaves my side. And, later, as the sun sets and the moon lights up the sky, he lies beside me, giving me the warmth that only my mother did, when I lay beside her, as a kid.  He was born with an instinct that told him how lonely I would be without him.
    So, there! That gives me enough reason to believe, that I will have my angel by my side, as long as I roam this world. And, the day I take a leave to go over to the other side, he will be waiting for me, at the end of that rainbow bridge, with his wagging tail and twinkling eyes, jumping for joy at seeing his mommy come back to him!

 
 The best thing I heard today - a little girl whispering to her mother on seeing me at the vegetable vendor's,"Look mom, there's Chikoo's mommy!" My heart burst with joy! 
   
 
 
 







Comments

  1. super sweet... can totally relate with it, because I have a furry 'grandmother' kiddie too :-)
    Cheers, Archana - www.drishti.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Archana! Good to know we have our 'grandparent' pets in common! :-) Aren't they adorable?

      Delete
  2. Oh how very cute and awwish post! Loved it. I never had dogs and I am deprived of that love so can't really say that I know how you feel but Chikoo seems to be like a real shadow. One who can bring joy in any phase of life. Beautiful Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touching post, Shilpa. At times, I think I should get a dog too, but, then I worry - "What if I'm not able to take proper care of him/her?" Maybe I will after I recover my health completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your concern, Chicky. And, frankly, it is a good thing you aren't being impulsive. Bringing home a pet is a big responsibility which should be undertaken only after a lot of deliberation. And, that is because dogs are like babies, they stay babies all their lives, are dependent on us as long as they live, and most importantly, they have feelings, too. So, it is better to bring home a pet if you really want and are going to care for it as your own baby.

      Delete
  4. This post is so cute Shilpa.. I am not much of a dog lover. I am kinda Okay with their presence.. but my husband..he loves dog like crazy. And now we have our dog.. He's just a year old and slowly I've built this liking towards him..
    Your words and feelings are making me understand the love that my husband has towards our dog.. Thanks for writing this one.. :)

    I completely enjoyed reading it..

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so cute Shilpa.. I am not much of a dog lover. I am kinda Okay with their presence.. but my husband..he loves dog like crazy. And now we have our dog.. He's just a year old and slowly I've built this liking towards him..
    Your words and feelings are making me understand the love that my husband has towards our dog.. Thanks for writing this one.. :)

    I completely enjoyed reading it..

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geetika! I hope my post and your fur baby make you fall in love with him! They really are adorable, loving and very very caring. You just need to give them a chance to express their feelings towards you and try and understand them. Eventually, it all becomes very easy. I am sure if you give yourself some time, you will not want him to stay out of your sight for a moment. Wait and watch and let me know. 😊

      Delete
    2. Yes.. It's his birthday month.. and I have developed this soft corner for him. The look I see into his eyes is heart melting.. he truly has made a place in my heart,.. and I guess I in his heart as well :)

      Delete
  6. I totally loved this description!
    I mean, Chikoo can understand and sense your emotions too! That's so supercool!
    If it weren't for my phobia of dogs and all things furry, I would have loved to spend time with this little bundle of joy who makes you smile everyday! <3
    Hugs and kisses to you.. and double the number of hugs and kisses to Chikoo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! Thanks so much, Mithila! Chikoo sends his sloppy kisses and warm, soft hugs to you! :-) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me cry with this post Shilpa. Hugs to you and Chikoo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally relate to this. Pets can read our emotions and love us as much as we love them. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…