Skip to main content

Essentials for life.

               I fidgeted with  my pen as I went through the list of essentials in front of me.  

Rice
Lentils
Butter
Flour
Sugar

   ..."What else do I need?" I wondered aloud, as I looked at my husband for a reply. 

        "Do you need some cheese, or your favourite cookies?" I asked. "Hmm," he replied absentmindedly, without taking his eyes off  his phone -- his favourite toy.  I sighed, as I cursed the damn instrument. Wish I could toss it into the ocean. But, being in a good mood since the evening, I decided to play a prank.
   "Umm, how about coffee? Do you need it?" I asked, and received the very same reply, "Hmm," 
   "And,  some make-up? Do you need that, too?" I asked impishly.
   Hubby looked up, irritation writ large on his face. "Can't you see, I am busy?" he snapped.

           I sighed again. My good mood bid me adieu and flew out of the window.  The list of essentials suddenly seemed insignificant. These were the things I needed in my kitchen, but were they really 'essential'? I mused.  Since a long time now, conversation between the two of us had taken a back seat. At times,  this silence seemed deafening.  I reminisced about the earlier years, when we were busy, no doubt, but 'talk time' was of utmost importance to us.  Half an hour, at the end of the day, was fixed for talking. Plain and simple talking, letting out our emotions freely; speaking our mind on matters that, well, mattered! 
         How long had it been since we had just sat and chatted to our hearts' content? When was the last time when we had talked late into the night?  I remembered the good old days, when we  discussed our days, spoke fondly of our pasts, dreamt about our future, laughed at some inane jokes and ribbed each other mercilessly, giggling like kids. 
         I smiled as I returned from the flashback of the past 23 years,  and  looked up to see hubby, who still sat in the same place, mesmerised with the damned gadget.  My eyes returned to the list, which had lost  it's meaning. I crossed out the entire list and turned the paper over. I needed to make another list of essentials - things that were much needed in my life, in our life.


Switch off every gadget for an hour before bedtime.
Talk.
Talk some more.
Share your thoughts.
Share a few laughs.
And, a few tears.
Hold that hand, look into those eyes.

Life is one uncertain dame, who doesn't think twice before changing directions. So, just grab every spare minute you have and spend it with your loved one. It's these shared moments that will warm the heart when nothing else remains. 

     I signed the list, and left it on the table, before heading off to bed. 

                                                      **********

              The cool breeze soothed our tired nerves as we walked hand in hand under the starlit sky. It was our eighth night out, in a row! 
            My list had fulfilled it's job. 

                                                     **********


This post has been written for Wordy Wednesday.
This week's prompt: Word prompt - Essentials.

This week's prompt comes from B-A-R member, writer and blogger: Roshan Radhakrishnan.

Comments

  1. Very nicely put, Shilpa. Sometimes we need to stop and ponder, what are the real essentials in our life. Else, they will just get lost in the routine and the mundane things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Shantala! And, the way that not only life, but these gadgets that make our life simple, have taken over, I am sure every other person goes through the same emotions - loneliness and frustration.

      Delete
  2. I'm overwhelmed at the way you transition from the mundane to the truly essential. This, above all, is the most important thing always. To savor human company in its full flavor. Lovely take, Shilpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shailaja! I hope this fictional piece becomes reality some day...the last part, I mean! :)

      Delete
  3. Shilpa, this is simply superb.All husbands must read this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I am glad you think so, Usha ji! But, the question is, will they learn anything from it? :)

      Delete
  4. Really nice lines.. It will be great if all can try to follow this in their life.. Life will be much better for all.. It should be implemented with kids also..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Ajit! Thank you for visiting! :)

      Delete
  5. A lovely post. You move your reader very cleverly towards one expectation then reveal another altogether. I really enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy! It was a pleasure writing this one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…