Skip to main content

Father of the bride


Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs
 

       Some days ago, I saw this movie on TV-  Father of the bride. I have seen it around 10 times already, but I can still watch it...again and again. Although it is a comedy, there is some thing about the story that tugs at the heartstrings. And by the end of it I have a lump in my throat.  All the emotions demonstrated by the actor Steve Martin's character, when he comes to know that his daughter - his little girl - is now a grown up woman who has decided to get married,  are the most natural ones that any father would go through under similar circumstances.  Doubt and suspicion about the boy chosen by his daughter, the inability to accept that his princess, his little girl, is not little anymore and is now on the threshold of a new milestone in her life, the apprehensions  about his daughter's future with another man are all that every father goes through. What is it about daughters that makes the strongest, bravest of fathers go all mushy when their little girls are ready to leave the nest? I will never know.....I can never be a father (!) and I don't have a daughter- my bad luck!
    Daddies dote on their little girls....girls, who will always remain 'little' for their dads, no matter how much they age! I am sure, so many of them feel that even when the girl is of marriageable age, she is 'still so small'! Why the hurry? is the question often asked! And no boy is suitable enough, however much educated or well brought up he may be. He is never the 'best' for their girls.
   I think, if they could, fathers would as well get home the son-in-law rather than send the apple of their eyes away from them!  And the way some of them study the 'boys' - under a microscope! The boys are always on edge, always nervous about being observed for every mannerism, from every angle.  Impressing a future father in law is akin to giving the toughest examination of their lives - something that I saw in another movie, Meet the parents. But, then, those very boys need to know that they would be doing the exact same thing when their daughters would decide to tie the knot!
   My dad, like all the other dads of the world, brought me up like a princess, gave me the very best of everything I wanted. And, one fine day, he would be left without me, is an idea that must have given him sleepless nights. It's only now that I can comprehend what he must have gone through while giving my hand  away in marriage. His tears spoke a thousand words! And even today, I remain his little girl who needs his guidance and protection in this ugly world! Now, I am getting all mushy!
  Ah, well, life as we know, is uncertain, but, one thing that we girls know for certain is that wherever we may be, whatever we may do, we will always be present in our dad's prayers. And if, God forbid, some untoward situations do arise, then the person who will be the first one to come to our rescue will be daddy dearest! Don't you agree, girls?!

Comments

  1. Peace Shilpa : Girls will agree for father & boys for their mother. Infact it should be both na

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant help but smile at your post. I can't quite speak for from a girl's point of view, but yes, I've heard that quite a lot. I've always wished for a daughter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sid! Yes, I have heard that a lot from by friends, that they have always wanted daughters, esp those who have sons! :) It is a different feeling , you know!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for making me emotional on a Monday morning. Love the post. *Sniff, sniff*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Shailaja! Thanks so much dear! A hug for you!

      Delete
  4. So very sweet. Incidentally, I also wrote about my dad in my last post. Aren't they just so special?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachna! Yes, they sure are very special!

      Delete
  5. Know what..during my bidai, no one felt like crying including me but then it was my dad who got all teary eyed and emotional. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Uma! Actually, I too never expected my dad to tear up during my bidai! Thats how they all are, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…