Skip to main content

A ray of sunshine

         It was a grey, August evening. I was awaiting the arrival of my husband who had gone to Shirdi for a couple of days. I was finishing my chores when he called, "I will be reaching home in about 45 minutes. You see, I had been to Pune on my way back. Now, I am at Lonavla. And...I have bought a puppy." before I could ask "What?", he had disconnected the call.
       "A puppy? Did he just say he bought a puppy?" My mind was instantly brimming with all sorts of questions laced with anger and irritation. What would we do with a puppy? Who would take care of it after we left for work? And when had we made such plans? We did not need  a pet, for heaven's sake! And what a mess it would make of my house!!
       The phone rang again. My husband had reached our   building's compound and was requesting me to help him carry his bags so that he could carry the puppy upstairs. I did not realise I had been fuming and fretting for so long. I was furious and curtly asked him to get his baggage and the puppy all by himself and slammed the phone down. But, my conscience gave a nod of disapproval at my immature behaviour, so I stomped downstairs to help my spouse.
      No sooner had I reached the last step than this tiny, brown ball of fur looked up at me in wonder and tilted his head. And....I was floored! I just melted, like snow in bright sunlight! He was the cutest puppy I had ever seen! Without realising it, I had fallen in love. I instantly named him Satin after the satiny, honey coloured fur on his back.
        As soon as he entered our house, he marked his arrival on the doormat! The house was now his territory. It was a 'sign' of things to follow. Torn bedsheets and mattresses and chewed up furniture made it to the 'daily news' I gave my husband. I would often find the shivlingam and idols of Ganpati and Shree Krishna from the temple touring our house! I am very sure the gods must have enjoyed those picnics after sitting in the same place for ages! My neat and tidy house was in quite a state of disarray. But we enjoyed it all.
      Satin was a clever little fellow. No sooner would I say "bath time", than he would rush and get his towel to the bathroom! All his toys that he dropped down from the balcony would find their way back up whenever he went downstairs during his playtime. Once as I was trying to change the curtains, the curtain rod fell down creating a racket. And the chaos that followed.....! Satin held my kurta and just would not let me anywhere near the rod. He barked at the rod and held on to me by turns. I had a hard time freeing myself to get the curtain rod back up. Since then, every time I climb a stool, a pair of brown eyes watches over me like a hawk.
      He is also the most caring member of our family. Whenever  some one sneezes, he looks at them with  concern and the "Are you okay?" look in his eyes. He does not like it if  we argue with each other or speak in raised voices; he is a peace loving fellow.And he is also the first and the only 'person' to wipe away my tears during my depressed moments. The unconditional love that he showers on me is next only to my mother.
     It has been 9 years since Satin came into our lives. He has become the most important and pampered   member of our family. He is now a 'senior citizen' and has thus calmed down a lot. Satin is now known as Chikoo...yes, now my pet has a pet name too! Chikoo is very fond of kids and is very patient with them. He happens to be the best friend of a 'special child'- a differently-abled girl with whom he hit it off in the very first meeting. She simply enjoys chatting with him as he is the only one who listens to every thing she tells him. He has also become extra clever as he recognises the horn of our car and no one can argue with him on that matter! He follows every word of his mother tongue, Marathi, and at times it does become very difficult saying certain things in his presence !
     I quit my job to care for him and haven't once repented the decision. His ever-wagging tail and the love that over flows from his chocolate brown eyes gives us immense joy. He has changed our life in ways we had never imagined. He has filled the vacuum that we felt before his arrival. His adorable habits make me fall in love with him all over again. Be it holding my kurta  and following me all around the house or licking away my tears when I am sad, he is every bit the child I always wanted. He is truly our ray of sunshine that has brightened up our lives! 

Comments

  1. Chickoo is lucky 2 have u in d first place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…